The Nigerian government has given an insight into the negotiations that led to the release of 21 Chibok school girls.
A confirmation the girls had been freed came Thursday morning.
The girls –nearly 300 – were abducted by the extremist sect Boko Haram on April 14, 2014, from a secondary school in Chibok.
Some 50 of the girls managed to escape and about 218 of them are still missing.
Previous efforts by two Nigerian administrations to free the girls were not successful.
The latest success came after the intervention of the Red Cross and the Swiss government.
“The release of the girls, in a limited number is the outcome of negotiations between the administration and the Boko Haram brokered by the International Red Cross and the Swiss government,” a statement issued by presidential spokesperson, Garba Shehu, said.
He said the talks will continue.