Baby Boy Dies After Being Found Hanging From Bed’s Iron Bars While Sleeping With Dad
A nine month old baby boy with a “cheeky monkey smile” died after hanging from the iron bars of a bed during a snooze with his dad.
Little Ryan Sharp was just 268 days old when he died following an afternoon nap with his father Jay in 2014.
An inquest heard Mr Sharp had taken the tot out to have lunch with friends earlier in the day.
The dad drank two pints of beer and downed two Jagerbombs, before heading back to a pal’s house in Barnstaple, North Devon.
The coroner heard the group were at the home of friends Lily Griffith and Ashley Jewell, when Mr Sharp took Ryan upstairs and rocked him to sleep in his arm.
He then fell asleep himself on the king size bed.
He said in a statement: “The next thing I knew I was being woken by the sound of Lily’s voice shouting my name.”
Lily said the first thing she saw when she was opened the door was “Ryan hanging there off the bottom of the bed.”
Ashley dialled 999 and carried out CPR on Ryan before the ambulance arrived – he suffered a heart attack and died in hospital.
The post mortem said Ryan suffered positional asphyxiation with possible neck compression due to entanglement in a bed frame.
Coroner Dr Elizabeth Earland said co-sleeping and the consumption of alcohol were both factors in the tot’s death.
The Greater Devon coroner said:”In the circumstances I am satisfied on the balance of probabilities that Ryan’s death was an accident.
“I hope lessons will be learned following the tragic affair so that it doesn’t happen to anybody else.”
Ryan’s parents Jay and mum Jaeda Owens – who had been at work – said: “We will never forget our beautiful son, he filled our hearts with love and joy.
“From such a tragic accident there are lessons to be learned.
“We miss our son every day and there is not a minute that goes by when we don’t think about him and is cheeky monkey smile.
“The pain will always be with us and we would not want anyone else to go through losing a child in the way we lost Ryan.”
Source: UK Mirror